Welcome to the Tutoring and Academic Engagement Center's Online Writing Lab. Please note that this is an asynchronous service; you will receive feedback after you send us your work. We also offer in-person tutoring on the 4th floor of the Knight Library.
Please read the following instructions carefully.
- The OWL is closed over the weekend from noon on Friday and reopens on Monday morning. You will receive feedback on your submission within 48 hours. The weekend does not count in our 48-hour turnaround time. If you need feedback sooner, consider using our in-person tutoring services.
- Submissions longer than 8 pages will receive feedback on only the first 8 pages unless you specify a section for review.
- Our goal is to help you develop your skills as a writer. The OWL is not a proofreading service. While tutors may comment on recurring patterns of grammatical errors impacting flow and clarity, they do not offer line-by-line corrections.
- OWL tutors cannot provide feedback on the following: graduate prospectuses, theses, or dissertations; essay exams or take-home essays (without prior permission from a course instructor), and group projects.
- For group projects please use in-person tutoring. We ask that as many members of the group attend as possible (at least 50%) to review and discuss your project.
- If you have any questions, please contact the Tutoring and Academic Engagement Center at firstname.lastname@example.org
- The OWL will officially open on Tuesday, January 16th. Feel free to submit your assignments before this date, but we will have limited coverage until then.
Writing submitted through the OWL receives feedback from undergraduate peer writing tutors. We encourage you to begin with your home department for feedback on prospectus, thesis, or dissertation work. Additional support is also available through the Center of Diversity and Community (CoDaC) Writing Consultant.