Welcome to the Tutoring and Academic Engagement Center's Online Writing Lab. Please note that this is an asynchronous service, meaning you will receive feedback after you send us your work. We also offer synchronous (live) tutoring, which you can access through our website.
If you wish to continue to the Online Writing Lab, please read the following information carefully.
The OWL is currently closed for the end of term. Congratulations to graduating students & have a good summer break! We will reopen on June 21.
- We believe the best writing is done before the very last minute. To give you time to read and apply our feedback, we ask that you submit papers at least 48 hours before the deadline. If you need feedback sooner, we encourage you to make a live remote appointment with our tutors through our website.
- Please note that we are open Monday-Friday and closed on weekends. Accordingly, submissions received after noon on Friday may not be assigned until Monday morning. Please know that the weekend does not count within our 48-hour turnaround time
- You will receive feedback on your submission within 48 hours. Submissions of 10+ pages (double-spaced) will receive feedback on the first 7-8 pages or on a shorter, specific selection that you ask the tutor to focus on.
- Our goal is to help you develop your skills as a writer. Therefore, our feedback will address just a few key aspects you could revise. If, after revising, you would like another round of feedback, you are welcome to submit your work again for further review.
- The OWL is not a proofreading service. While tutors are happy to comment on recurring patterns of grammatical errors, help you identify issues that are impairing flow and clarity, and to recommend grammatical resources, they do not provide proofreading or line-by-line corrections.
- Our tutors can provide support for all types of writing except the following: graduate prospectuses, graduate dissertations, and essay exams or take-home essays (without prior permission from a course instructor).
- For group projects, please meet with a tutor in person using our live appointments. We ask that as many members of the group be present as possible, with a minimum of 50% of the group, so that you can all review and discuss your project with the tutor.
- If you have any questions, please contact the Tutoring and Academic Engagement Center at firstname.lastname@example.org.